Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Christian Homeschooling Moms - Untitled document The Christian Homeschooling Moms On-Line (CHMO) Webring exists for Christian homeschooling mothers bo

Forums     Login   Signup

Christian Homeschooling Moms

Manager: preciousdays
The Christian Homeschooling Moms On-Line (CHMO) Webring exists for Christian homeschooling mothers both new and veterans, who enjoy researching via the internet and seek to offer and recieve encouragement through the web sites within the ring dedicated to Christian homeschooling. If you are a Christian mother, currently homeschooling and have read and agree with our statement of faith, then please join us!

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Still Waiting... - 01/23/2013
Since our baby hasn't arrived yet, I've been a little stressed. But I was curious about how long pregnancies can actually go if left alone. Modern medicine calls anything over 42 weeks dangerous, but the current dating method used in the United States was invented in 1830 (called Naegele's Rule), and is based on the assumption that a woman's cycle is 28 days exactly, and a pregnancy will cover 9-10 lunar cycles. This gives a pregnancy the average length of 280 days, which is counted from the last missed period. However, most women do not have textbook cycles like that one. If a woman has a first-trimester ultrasound, it can give a more accurate dating method, but ultrasound dating can also be off. The reason that so many doctors recommend birth by 42 weeks is that after this point, there is a higher chance for complications like stillbirth, C-sections, meconium in the lungs, and large babies. However, the risk of complications from too-early births are just as significant. The trouble with pulling a baby out at precisely 40 weeks from LMP could actually be causing a baby to arrive closer to 37 weeks gestation. Babies also do not mature at the same speed in the womb. Some babies may take a week or two longer to develop the brain and lung capacity to thrive outside the womb. I actually ran across this article from the UK e arlier today that discussed the same issue. According to this article, many women actually have pregnancies that require a full 42 or 43 weeks to reach matur...

Still Waiting...

Replied - 01/23/2013
Since our baby hasn't arrived yet, I've been a little stressed. But I was curious about how long pregnancies can actually go if left alone. Modern medicine calls anything over 42 weeks dangerous, but the current dating method used in the United States was invented in 1830 (called Naegele's Rule), and is based on the assumption that a woman's cycle is 28 days exactly, and a pregnancy will cover 9-10 lunar cycles. This gives a pregnancy the average length of 280 days, which is counted from the last missed period. However, most women do not have textbook cycles like that one. If a woman has a first-trimester ultrasound, it can give a more accurate dating method, but ultrasound dating can also be off. The reason that so many doctors recommend birth by 42 weeks is that after this point, there is a higher chance for complications like stillbirth, C-sections, meconium in the lungs, and large babies. However, the risk of complications from too-early births are just as significant. The trouble with pulling a baby out at precisely 40 weeks from LMP could actually be causing a baby to arrive closer to 37 weeks gestation. Babies also do not mature at the same speed in the womb. Some babies may take a week or two longer to develop the brain and lung capacity to thrive outside the womb. I actually ran across this article from the UK e arlier today that discussed the same issue. According to this article, many women actually have pregnancies that require a full 42 or 43 weeks to reach matur...

Still Waiting...

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy