Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Jewish Webring - The Jewish Webring is a collection of tasteful sites pertaining to Judaism and the Jewish people. The idea is to reflect

Forums     Login   Signup

Jewish Webring

Manager: tamar_the_ringmistress
The Jewish Webring is a collection of tasteful sites pertaining to Judaism and the Jewish people. The idea is to reflect a positive view of ourselves and not stoop to the level of those that hate us.  Due to the sensitive nature of this ring, your site must be in a language that the ring manager can understand, which is either English or Hebrew.  Toda Raba!

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Kapporot: Use money, let the chickens live! - 09/04/2013
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d11XGtWKzmw/UieNdXIHm3I/AAAAAAAAAkM/rn7ycZDhQZ4/s320/money_not_chickens.jpg

Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, is coming soon, and with it comes a ceremony called kapparot or kapporos,  in which a chicken is sometimes slaughtered just before the holy day.  Although traditionally the chicken was then given to a poor family as charity, nowadays this is not necessarily what happens to it.  According to this September 3, 2013 article in the Jewish Journal,  today's kapparot chickens are often thrown in the garbage after the ceremony.  This, to me, is a complete waste of both animal life and potential food.  People are being told that their kapparot chicken is going to charity when, in fact, it often ends up in the city dump. This is one reason why I advocate giving money to charity instead of slaughtering a chicken.  Giving money is a time-honored custom and a perfectly acceptable substitute. This year, in connection with the  Alliance to End Chickens as Kapporos,  I appear on this poster with my pet rooster, Big Bird.  (Apologies to Sesame Street, but he is big and he is yellow, so it was inevitable my grandson would call him that!)   This same photo also appears in a short one-minute slide show that I narrated,  Kapporos: A Heartfelt Plea for Mercy .  (Follow the link to view on YouTube.) For taking this stance, I have been called a "self-hating Jew" (and worse) by  cyber-hecklers -- a ridiculous accusation, given my lifelong devotion to Judaism.  Lately it seems that a...

Kapporot: Use money, let the chickens live!

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy